About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed person! Wife to an awesome man, mother to 4 wonderful kids(even though they all drive me crazy at times-even that awesome man!). I enjoy being me!!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

I DON"T Gotta Go!

After spending a great evening with friends I came home and made the following observation to myself.

We women guilt ourselves into "gotta go-ing" a lot.

Why do we do this?
Why do we "gotta go?"

It's not like we are out partying every night.  We are not wild. Only slightly crazy.

Do we think that our kids will die with out us?
That the man we married is not capable of taking care of them?

I remember when I lived back in Utah while Duane was in Korea and I would go with my mom and sister up to Idaho to see the grandparents and other aunts and uncles that live up there.  My mom would ALWAYS want to be home before Tom got home from work.  I still do not understand this.  I'm not knocking it, my brain just doesn't grasp the concept very well.

Will our men shrivel up and die if we are not there?
Will they starve?

Call me cold, call me heartless, just don't call me June Cleaver, but I DON"T gotta go until I'm good and ready to go.

Thank you Big D for letting me be me! 
I cannot live with guilt. 
It weighs to much.

As Tina would say, "Let her rip!"

5 comments:

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

good point-I think a lot of them use it as an excuse. It's lame to say, "I'm really tired" or "I forgot to set the DVR and I don't wan to miss my favorite shoe". In our marriage, we try to spend as little time as possible actually in the same room.

Cunningham Blog said...

And I think that it's an interesting double standard that we have allowed to occur. If Garry has an appointment in the evening, he just has to tell me as he heads out the door. It's assumed that I will take care of the kids. But if I want/need to go out, you better believe schedules must be discussed. Garry would never say no, but it would have to be "cleared".

Tina said...

Got a good laugh at your last statement! So I'm lettin' her rip!

Thankfully, Lincoln for the most part lets me be me. I'M the one who doesn't let me be me. I'm harder on myself than ANYONE could ever be.

It was funny . . . on that night that you are talking about, I kept thinking that I needed to be home because it was Chancy's last night home before he flew off to Utah. When I got home, Chancy wasn't even there and hadn't been since just after I left to go to the dinner. All that worry FOR NOTHING! I'm glad I went the extra mile and went and shared dessert with you wonderful women, it was FUN!

Loved your post!

Stephanie said...

You know, it's true! I've had to work myself into knowing that it's okay for me to go out and have fun. And I have a similar issue as Alicia, I've got to run and rerun all my night appointment. But now most of the time, by body walks out the door early because it's just so dang tired!!

Mrs Ana said...

I remember us going to the women's conference and staying out until
1:OO A.M. I remember getting home and finding Alan peeking out the window like he had been standing there waiting the whole time. He was so worried about me being out so late. I just had to laugh. He just wasn't used to me being out so late. We had some great times that's why I love you LeeAnn!