About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed person! Wife to an awesome man, mother to 4 wonderful kids(even though they all drive me crazy at times-even that awesome man!). I enjoy being me!!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Singing Down Memory Lane

As I was filling out my profile this morning and I got to the favorite music section one song popped right into my head. Journey's "Don't Stop Believin" So of couse I had to listen to it and sing along!!

Back in the day before I had gray hairs I spent a summer living off of Journey songs. Then I spent years, years I say, not listening to music other than what my hubby would play, which ranges from opera to heavy metal. Then I spent the years listening to what the kids listen to, even know a few words to some crazy rap songs thanks to Megan.

Finally it is my turn once again to listen to my music. Actually I have to find out what that is again!! But Journey is right there at the top of the list. I even saw Journey in concert (again, back in the day). So imagine my joy to hear my #2 son tell me the tale of the chow hall at the Air Force Academy when all 1400 cadets had a sing along with "Don't Stop Beleivin'".

It went down like this: 1400 cadet eating and chatting, music playing in the background(not a common thing), then this fabulouse song comes on and 1 cadet starts singing and the next thing you know it all 1400 are singing.

Now imagine this. A beautiful summer evening in DC. Seriously, it was beautiful. Low humidity, mid 80's, a Southern Marylander's dream. It's a couple of days before #2 leaves for his mission to Thailand. Driving as a fam (minus the #1 son and wife) in Crystal City after eating some extremely delicious Thai food. The windows are down so as to enjoy the lovely summer evening. #'s 2,3 and 4 are "podding" in the back seat, which can now be done by all since my new car stereo has an auxilary plug where as before it was usually #'s 2 and 3 podding with headphones. Then "Don't Stop Believin'" comes on and of course the volume goes up and we are all "podding" We even got a few people on the streets to "pod" with us!

It was awesome! Brings a tear to the eyes!

I think I'm gonna have to listen to it again and since I'm the only one h ere in the office this morning I may just have to sing really loud!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Journey. I grew up listening to them because my brother is a huge fan who spent a summer following them all over the country. Don't Stop Believin' is one of my favorites, too.

Sylvia said...

I vaguely remember going to see Journey in the mid 80's...I am so old!
I love how certain songs can bring back such good memories.

Sylvia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina said...

I think those 1400 cadets have parents about your and my age and had to listen to Journey, probably before their own tastes in music matured! McKay just got the newest Xbox "World Tour" game, and he loves it because he knows all the music. He says it is "mom and dad's music." I thought that was cute!

Mrs Ana said...

Jouney was and still is one of my favorites!

Cunningham Blog said...

My sisters were huge fans and I grew up thinking that marrying Steve Perry would be fabulous. Wonder where he is now?

Browne Towne said...

I wonder sometimes what people think as they're driving down the road and they look over and see me singing at the top of my lungs. Of course they can't hear it, but I'm sure it looks totally funny!!