About Me

My photo
I am a very blessed person! Wife to an awesome man, mother to 4 wonderful kids(even though they all drive me crazy at times-even that awesome man!). I enjoy being me!!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Real Man's Car- Dedicated to Ken Page

One of the things that Aaron wanted to do before he headed back to the Air Force Academy was to purchase a car. As an upper classman one gets a bit more freedom! YaHoo! He has talked about a Nissan XTerra before he left on his mission or something like unto it.

Duane started looking around and found a great deal on a Toyota RAV 4. With a little bit of trepidation we went ahead and bought it. We figured if Aaron didn't want it Duane really liked it and would drive it (one more addition to our "used car lot")

We did not tell Aaron about this car  until we pulled up to the house the day we picked him up from the airport. He asked about this other car at our house -like we need another one- and we told him we found it for him. Well his reaction was not the joyfull one that we were thinking it would be.

"It's a girl car," he said.

A what! We were not aware that cars belonged to different genders.

Then when  I talked to my brother in Colorado to tell him our plans to drive out there in the Toyota RAV 4  and he said...."That's a girl car! HAHAHAHAH! He's gonna have to park it in the girl cadet parking lot!" I told my brother that could be a great way to meet girls.  He laughed and said something to the effect of me being a Mormon mother and trying to get my returned missionary married off right away. Well that ain't gonna happen for another couple of years! Academy rules!

I relayed this conversation to Aaron and Duane and Aaron said, "See, I told you it was a girl car!" So Duane said that Aaron didn't have to make the payments on it. We would keep it and he would drive it. I told Aaron he just wasn't man enough like his dad to drive it.

Both Duane and I started looking out for RAV 4s on the road and who was driving them. The first week was pretty depressing....it really is a girl car. Then the next week was a jackpot of men driving the RAV 4.

The clincher though happened on a Sunday as we were pulling out of the church parking lot and I saw the Page's getting into their TOYOTA RAV 4! I pointed this out to Aaron and he said, "Well if Pres. Page can drive one then I guess I can too."

Thanks for being a real man Ken Page!

7 comments:

annie valentine said...

We just bought Jason's parents old Lexus SUV in gold. It's his new vehicle, and he's seriously concerned that he's going to look like an empty-nester going through menopause.

Stephanie said...

That's awesome! I'm glad he could "man" up. : )

Tina said...

Actually, the Rav4 is Joni's!!!! President Page has his "man" truck! Halley drives an Xterra . . . . another "girl" car???

Ken and Joni Page said...

You gave us quite a smile today! Thanks! Actually the Rav 4 started out as Joni's car but when the price of gas went crazy, Ken started using it for long commutes and Joni took the truck for trips to the store. I don't think he has ever referred to it as a "girl car". Although every once in a while he says he needs a shot of testosterone and has to take the truck out. Anyway, glad to hear Aaron was smart enough to realize what a great car he got and wise enough to follow the example of a good man. We both love the Rav 4--it is a great car and will be just the thing for Colorado winters.

Tina said...

I got quite a laugh also!!! FUNNY!

Jana said...

LOL! Pres. Page always was a good influence.

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

We used to tease my dad about his CRV-but any car beats walking