"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! It's marked on my calendar, but I just remembered that tomorrow is my year a a missionary mark. What? When did I even get in country? Seems like I was just a bright-eyed, innocent little gree....i mean new missionary. Man, things are going to start picking up like a rock rolling down a mountain I bet. Gaining speed and causing more havoc and I go, I hope. "More havoc" meaning more people brought to a knowledge of their Redeemer, Jesus Christ, of course.
I set a goal a month or two ago to read the Book of Mormon 10 times by the time I finish my mission. I am currently on read through #5 and #6. #5 is in English and #6 is in Thai. Reading in Thai right now is basically just to say I did it. I plan to have read it twice in Thai before I return and the second read through will be more of a study, as my reading in English currently is. Right now, in English, I am looking for ways that the men of the Book of Mormon were missionaries. This morning U read Alma 20-22. I learned in Alma 20, after the example of Ammon, that if someone doesn't accept the gospel, I can pull out a sword and smite him in the arm and then threaten to kill him until he accepts. Just Kidding! But it has been a really interesting focus. Everything I have seen in the Book of Mormon can also be found in Preach My Gospel. Like how Ammon and Lamoni worked together to save Aaron and Muleki (companions teaching in unity), how Ammon went to serve King Lamoni and thus opened the king's heart (look for opportunities to serve), how Zoram went to Alma to find out what the Lamenites were going to do (following council from leaders), Nephi going to get the brass plates without knowing what he was going to do but relying on the Spirit (doing the Lord's work in the Lord's way), Alma and Amulek teaching together (teaching with members)... Could go on. I have a piece of paper with over 40 examples on it so far and I'm only in Alma 23.
Not much has happened regarding investigators, so I decided I would just give another shout out for the Book of Mormon. Not sure if I have said this yet, but, um, READ THE BOOK! A lot. Every day. Pray when you do it. Read it with your family. Read it alone. Look for answers to questions about life as you read (meaning pay attention to seemingly random thoughts that come to your mind, not necessarily looking for answers through the text). Think about what you read in the morning as you go throughout your day. Share what you read with others. Set goals to improve when you see the example of the great men who wrote the Book of Mormon. Show your children how important it is and teach them to learn from it. Tell your parents how important it is to you that you read it together as a family daily. Tell your friends about it. Don't be afraid to read it in public, on the way to work or school, and answer questions when people ask. Love it. Thank Heavenly Father for it.
The Book of Mormon will change your life. I think a lot of people who may read the email may have had similar thoughts as I have. I used to wonder how it could change my life if I had been taught truth and mentored to act accordingly. Maybe you don't think it is full of the Plan of Salvation as everybody says. Maybe you wonder why this is a gospel of peace, yet all the Book of Mormon talks about is war. Read it and you'll begin to understand. As I have been here, my conviction to live this gospel has increased more than I can say. I will attribute that to two things: 1. Seeing the agonizingly slow growth that occurs as a result of anything less than 100% effort. 2. Reading the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon has taught in more clarity than any teacher I have ever been blessed with the Plan of Salvation. The Book of Mormon has shown me example after example of righteous men and women who stuck it out till the end despite more pressure to give in than I think any of us has yet experienced. The Book of Mormon has allowed me to feel, rather than just simply understand, that the gospel is true, and I cannot deny what I have felt.
I love you all. Tell Jacob to write to me. He is a punk.
Aaron

No comments:
Post a Comment